Pages

Thursday 1 July 2021

Science - Imploding Can!

Kia ora everyone. Today in the last period we had science and in science, we did an experiment called the Imploding can which is the opposite of an exploding can. We had many tries but the ending results were really cool. I give this experiment A 9 out of 10 because next time I would like to do it with different types of cans and also work a little better.

Aim:  To see what happens when a hot can is placed in water 


Equipment:
  1. Gas tap
  2. Can
  3. Scissor Tongs
  4. Tripod
  5. Water
  6. Bunsen burner
  7. Container 

Method: First get a can and fill it up with a little bit of water (Don't put too much in the can). Secondly get a container And fill it up all the way to the top. Then Get your bunsen burner and set it up (Turn gas on and light the bunsen burner). Use your Scissor Tongs to pick the can up and put it over the flame. Wait until The water is boiling or when gas comes out of the can. Lastly, Put the top of the can upside down into the water so the lid is touch in the water, and then watch it implode.

Results: So what happened to the can? When we had put the hot can in the water upside down it had imploded meaning it and crushed inward. 

Imploding Soda Cans - Inquiry Guide

Conclusion: Why did it happen? Because when the hot steam touches the water it condenses meaning to make (something) denser or more concentrated. I think that this experiment was really cool but then it also takes a lot of practice to get it right and make the can implode.  v

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.