Pages

Thursday 15 April 2021

Rat Dissection:

For science, we did a disgusting but fun Dissection. We Dissected a white-furred male rat, It was very Fluffy and squishy and also when we opened it up it was very SMELLY!. Have you ever dissected a rat or any other animal?.

Summary:

When I  first had a look at the rat it was very soft and felt very lite. It was very unexpected because I thought it would be hard and also hard to cut it open. Some things that I had found were the rat's big intestines, and boy they were long!!. Next time I think I would like to explore and cut up more of the rat's organs and parts of its body.

Materials:

  1. Scalpel
  2. Scissors 
  3. wax tray
  4. Gloves
  5. (Mask) Optional 
  6. Pins
  7. rat
  8. Newspaper to layout on the table 

what we did:

1. The first thing that we had to do was cut open the first layer of the rat's skin. We had to try and open the first later without opening the second layer because we first had to pin the rat's skin down so we could get a better look at it. 

2. Secondly, we had to carefully cut the second layer without cutting the other organs.

 3. Lastly, we just had a little look around and started to open up other parts of the rat's body.

Steps: 

  1. Get all of your materials and equipment ready.
  2. Put your gloves on and set up your table with newspaper
  3. pin the legs and arms down of the rat
  4. Cut the skin off carefully without damaging any of the organs
  5. Pin down the skin and carefully cut the rest of the rat open without cutting any of the organs
  6. Try and find the stomach and the large and small intestine
  7. once finished dispose of the rat in a rubbish bag and throw it away in the red bin.

Conclusion: 

This was a very fun experiment, it was again very unexpected and very smelly. Next time I would like to be more careful when cutting the rat's skin because it was very hard for me to pin the skin down without the blood of the rat dripping down its side of its body. But other than that I would differently do this again. 


Here is a picture of the rat

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.