Pages

Monday 22 June 2020

Matariki!

Hi, guys welcome back to my blog. For the past two weeks in Maori, we have been learning about Matariki and the task that we had to do is find information about Matariki and then put it in our own words, we also had to write what does Matariki is to us.


Matariki

Matariki only comes out once a year And the best time to see it is in the morning from 1am to 3am. There are about 500 stars in the Matariki cluster, but only six or seven are visible without a telescope. 
Matariki has Nine stars.  Matariki, Tupuārangi, Waipuna-ā-Rangi, Waitī, Tupuānuku, Ururangi, Waitā, Pōhutukawa and Hiwa-i-te-Rangi. Ururangi is the youngest star in the Matariki cluster.  
Matariki is a time to harvest food and Matariki also signals the Maori new years.
2000
The first modern-day Matariki celebrations took place in Hawkes Bay in the early 2000s. Around 500 people took part in that first festival but by 2003 numbers had risen to 15,000. Matariki has continued to play an important role in the life of modern-day Maori and New Zealanders.
Finding Matariki – Kiwi Conservation Club

Thank you for reading my blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.