Pages

Monday 8 April 2019

Hurumanu - Rainbow Paper

Hi guys welcome back to my blog. today For science we did our first experiment!

Hurumanu - Rainbow Paper

Aim: my goal is to finish as much blog post as I can and get a science bage. 
Definition: Chromatography is a method of separating out materials from a mixture.
Eg. blood, ink, drugs,

Scenario
A crime has been committed. The police have a signed cheque and a letter from the same crime scene but it seems like the handwriting is different. They have 3 suspects but not enough evidence. They need to know if the letter and the cheque were written by the same person.

How do they tell if the pens used for both of these pieces of evidence are the same?


Materials;

1. Filter paper
2. Water based felt pens 
3. A cup
4. Water 

Process:

Step 1: Rule up the paper 1cm
Step 2: Draw two circles on the line that you draw on the paper 
Step 3: Get a cup and add a little bit of water
Step 4: Then fold your paper and then put it in the cup 
Step 5: Watch  the colours that are on the paper move

Conclusion: What have I learnt from this experiment?

I learnt that one colour can change the colour that you had previously. Like for example we used green but it change to blue. Also it was really  how the colours travelled up the paper. This skill is useful for forgery and forensics science . It has been really fun doing this experiment. I wonder what we are doing next time?


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.